Jobygoob's Retro Reviews

This blog will post reviews of some of the live concerts I've attended, downloaded, or otherwise obtained through the years I've been collecting music. If available online I'll post links to where you can find the recording yourself.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Welcome to Jobygoob's Retro Reviews!

Hey now everyone, so glad you made it!

Welcome to Retro Reviews. I am pretty new to the world of blogging, so bear with me as I plow my way through the one and zeroes. My plan is to use this site to share some reviews of the live music I have obtained over the years. I'm a huge Grateful Dead fan, and the live Dead in my collection outnumbers everything else by about twenty to one. The reviews here will reflect this, so you'll find more reviews of Dead shows here than anything else. Over time, I plan to share some of my thoughts on the various Neil Young, Bob Dylan, CSNY, Jerry Garcia Band, and Garcia/Grisman live recordings in my collection as well. I got this idea when I stumbled across a terriffic site run by Jonathan Laughlin. Check it out here: http://jonathanlaughlin.com/df/



A little about myself: My name is Joby. I'm a 36 year old, married father of one beautiful little 18 month old girl named Riley Sylvia, whose picture you should see on the right if I did this correctly ;) We all live in the Manayunk section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I grew up in and around Philadelphia, and before I started travelling long distances to see the Dead, most of my concert experiences were here in Philly.

I'm a social worker at a large hospital in central Philadelphia. I've worked for about fifteen years now with adults and children that have developmental disabilities. I'm also an amateur musician, although I haven't played in a band for a few years now.

Anyway, that should do for now. Hopefully over time you'll get to know me a little better and I'll get to know some of you. I should be posting my first review within a couple of days. I really hope that this blog can add something in some small way to the vast online community of Deadheads and live music lovers. Like I said, I am new to this so please feel free to get in touch with me and post any comments, ideas, or suggestions you might have.

5 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Blogger Deadman said...

Welcome to the Dead blogger's community, Joby.

When I started blogging, the only other Dead blog I could find was Jonathan's DoF. Since then, Helen, Ben of Born Again Deadhead, Christian of Uncle John's blog and SLC Library boy of Grateful dead News have appeared on the scene, as well as Justin Kreutzman, the most famously connected Dead blogger in the circle.

Glad to see another.

Oh and Happy Holidays, btw.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Joby Treegoob said...

Thanks Mark. There's alot to digest over at your site, I look forward to checking it out in more detail.

Peace---Joby

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joby,

You're right around the corner from us - we live in West Chester, PA. Why don't you stop by sometime for some Sushi and Soundboards. I have access to high quality versions of raw fish and Raw Dead. We would be happy to host you folks for an evening.

Welcome to blogland and thanks for the reviews - it's nice stuff to read. I always appreciate leads for new shows.

I've been thick into the dead since 1978 and hit my first show on Easter Sunday in 1981. I'm also a musician who used to be in a band and do a lot of recording, but, except for the occasional gig, I've been laying low for the last several years. My girlfriend has no interest in the Dead (she sings with the Philadelphia Orchestra and the Philadelphia Opera Company) but she can appreciate the obsession nevertheless.

In any event, keep those reviews coming.

Seeya.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Joby Treegoob said...

Hi WCD. I used to date an opera singer, for a while too. I am in your neck of the woods often, as my work brings me out to the Coatesville area quite a bit. Also, my friend's band used to play regularly at a little bar off of Gay street (I forget the name of the bar at the moment). Thanks for stopping by!

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Joby Treegoob said...

Hey Sunlight! Glad to hear from you, can't wait to check out your blog. Be sure to check out some of the other great blogs linked on this site as well as some of the others I haven't linked to yet. Talk to you later ---Joby

p.s. love the tent!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home